Wine type: Red
Grape type: Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo, three native varietals of La Rioja
Time in Barrel: 36 months
The Marqués de Carrión Winery is located in Labastida, a historic city in the Rioja Alavesa protected by the Sierra de Cantabria along the Ebro River 4 km from Haro. The winery has an area of 35,000 m2 (15,000 m2 built area) with a production and bottling capacity of 50 million bottles a year. It currently houses 20,000 Bordeaux barrels of American and French oak wines lay dormant for future bottling and aging in bottle. The Marqués de Carrión bottler has a capacity for 1 million bottles dedicated to reserve and gran reserve.
- Bacchus International Wine Competition 2010 - Silver Bacchus
- Bacchus International Wine Competition 2013 - Gold Bacchus
- Berliner Wein Trophy 2012 - Silver medal
- Berliner Wein Trophy 2014 - Gold medal
- Berliner Wein Trophy 2015 - Silver medal
- Challenge International du Vin 2013 - Bronze medal
- International Wine and Spirit Competition 2012 - Silver medal
- International Wine and Spirit Competition 2013 - Bronze medal
- International Wine and Spirit Competition 2014 - Bronze medal
- International Wine and Spirit Competition 2015 - Bronze medal
- International Wine Challenge 2011 - Silver medal
- International Wine Challenge 2012 - Silver medal
- Mundus Vini 2013 - Gold medal
Marqués of Carrión Reserve wine represents our most important winemaking project with the selection of our best grapes from the most balanced and oldest vineyards along the Sonsierra Rioja hillside. From these grapes we ferment in stainless steel tanks at temperatures between 28 and 30°C with prolonged maceration of the perfectly ripe skins and seeds for a time of about 3 weeks. Once we obtain the wine we refine it with malolactic fermentation and decant it before its entry into barrel. It is in our younger barrels of French oak where the wine spends 36 months and the perfect ensemble between wine and wood is achieved. It is then sent to our bottlers where we obtain full refinement and subtlety.
Marqués de Carrión Reserve is a pale ruby red color with shades hinting at terracotta owing to its age, clear and crystalline.
On the nose it initially presents tones of reduction. Once oxygenated it denotes a noble fragrance with delicate hints of vanilla, tobacco, wild fruits and oak reminiscence. On the palate we find a harmonious, full and elegant flavor, a perfect symbiosis between wine and oak.
We recommend serving this Rioja at a temperature of 18°C.
Marqués de Carrión Reserve is an excellent accompaniment to game dishes, grilled meats, aged cheeses and rock fish.